Room 402 Individuals & Societies
Year 2 and Year 3 Individuals & Societies
Individuals & Societies incorporates disciplines traditionally studied in the humanities, as well as disciplines in the social sciences. This course encourages learners to respect and understand the world around them and quip them with the necessary skills to inquire into historical, contemporary, geographical, political, social, economic, religious, technological and cultural factors that have an impact on individuals, societies, and environments (ibo.org, 2018).
The aims of MYP individuals & societies are to encourage and enable students to:
- Appreciate human and environmental commonalities and diversity
- Understand the interactions and interdependence of individuals, societies and the environment
- Understand how both environmental and human systems operate and evolve
- Identify and develop concern for the well-being of human communities and the natural environment
- Act as responsible citizens of local and global communities
- Develop inquiry skills that lead towards conceptual understandings of the relationships between individuals, societies and the environments in which they live (resources.ibo.org, 2018).
IBMYP Criterion A: Knowledge & Understanding Criterion B: Investigating Criterion C: Communicating Criterion D: Thinking Critically
Notebook, Pocket folder, 1-2 packs of small post-it notes, art supplies, paper, pens/pencils, and all books required for class.
CPS Grading Scale
90 - 100% - A
80 - 89% - B
70 - 79% - C
60 - 69% - D
0 - 59% - F
Homework PolicyYour child will have some form of homework weekly. Students are expected to submit homework on time. Late work will result in a deduction of the point value for the assignment. If your child is absent, he/she is responsible for making up missed assignments equivalent to the number of days absent.
Please feel free to communicate with me at any time with questions or concerns via e-mail. During instructional hours I may not have the opportunity to check e-mails. Please allow 24 hours for me to respond.